After two weeks at sea, the NRV Alliance pulled into Lisbon for a crew change and to fill up with provisions. 36 hours ashore was not enough time to enjoy all the wonderful sights, smells, and experiences that this beautiful city had to offer. The scientific and ship crews made the most of their time ashore:
- visiting the many historical sites, such as the Tower of Belem,
- eating typical Portuguese cuisine, like salted cod fish,
- experiencing typical music and food at a Fado restaurant,
- stretching their wobbly sea legs along the waterfront bike/running path,
relaxing and surfing on the beaches of Cascais,
- shopping the bargains at the super mall,
- and for those that didn’t see enough sea life in the first phase, visiting one of the world’s largest and best Aquarium.
A truly memorable time; however, the sea trial continues. The new crew additions for Phase 2 (and those remaining from Phase 1) have already commenced our visual and acoustic survey in a new area, expectantly searching for marine mammals.